Re: gEDA-user: Purpose of this list

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 17:26 +0100, Stefan Salewski wrote:
> I wonder if there is a better place to ask simple electronics questions
> like OpAmp behaviour?
>
> I think newsgroup sci.electronics.design is not too bad?
>
> For this list we already have much traffic -- user questions and some
> developer discussion. My personal view is, that it is fine to see the
> talk about development here, it is very interesting, but for people like
> me with non native english language and only basic programming skills it
> is not always possible to follow the discussion. So we have to delete
> some posts without reading it. If we will get additional very much
> electronics stuff not related to gEDA/PCB/... software (beside some
> offtopic) we may become flooded.
>
> What do you think?

I'm probably the most guilty for polluting geda-user with development
emails **, but I do that half-deliberately as it creates more interest
in what is going on. ** see PS. below

gEDA-user has always been a very friendly place to get electronics help
and advice, and I'd not like to see that change. It has been invaluable
to me in the past.

Yes, it might be considered slightly off-topic from discussing the EDA
tool we are all using - but that shared work-flow means you know you'll
be talking to people with at least "something extra" in common.

I often find the electronics posts on geda-user by far the most
interesting.

Best wishes,

Peter C.

PS.. I found what was causing your assert failure. The gory details were
only sent to geda-dev, but I can copy you if you want. Rather
annoyingly, one of my key speed-up tactics on my own branch still (or
perhaps "now") hits another assertion on your board.

The cause of this one seems to be vias placed "just" touching each
other: ()(), and whether these form a self-touching hole contour, or two
distinct (but just touching) holes. Technically, neither is allowed ;)

To achieve the speed-up, my branch adds bunches of via- clearance holes
together, then subtracts them as a block from the main polygon. It would
seem that in these "edge" cases, there is a difference in the final
result.