Re: gEDA-user: Purpose of this list

Stuart Brorson wrote:
> Hi --
>
>> I wonder if there is a better place to ask simple electronics questions
>> like OpAmp behaviour?
>>
>> I think newsgroup sci.electronics.design is not too bad?
> [.........]
>> What do you think?
>
> Just my $0.02.
>
> I am always pleased by the high level of electronics knowledge
> displayed by the folks on this list.  The contributions are very
> interesting and educational.
>
> I vote to keep it.  Besides the educational value, the great postings
> about electronics on geda-user are archived and searchable via
> Google.  That means that folks who are searching on keywords related
> to electronics will come across the gEDA project.  The high level of
> the disucssions on geda-user serve as great advertising for the
> entire gEDA Project.

<thoughtfullPause/> Well, I just found myself on the losing end of a
"lets keep it topical" discussion (93% flame-free :) on another list.
So I have fresh wounds.... that said...

   I think the only problem with geda-user, if there is one, is that it
covers so much ground.  I don't use the simulation tools, for instance,
so all of that I quickly delete based on subject.  Having dev mixed with
the user list is good and bad for reasons already mentioned.  If
geda-user were split I would probably subscribe to gschem-user,
pcb-user, geda-dev, geda-chat (for general electronics and what not) and
not geda-sim.

So, maybe split the list, but I wouldn't want to chase any of the
current posters off.

-dave