Re: gEDA-user: symbol files

On Nov 13, 2009, at 6:07 AM, Dave N6NZ wrote:

> One of the things that gripes me about geda development is that we are
> still arguing about whether it is "doable" to do stuff I used in the
> 1980's.

Did the stuff from the 80's support every downstream flow gschem
supports? Every possible layout program, every simulator, ASIC
design, too?

>   *sheesh*  There may not be any single "right" way to do it.
> But there are certainly ways.

Yes, and this is a non problem. There are several mental poisons you
must purge from your head, and then the problem disappears:

Poison #1 is the idea that you should directly instantiate library
symbols into your schematic. Use a project library instead.

Poison #2 is the idea that a single symbol can conceivably represent
every package and flow. Customizing symbols is the solution, and is
unavoidable.

Poison #3 is the idea that you should do everything inside the tool.
gEDA is a toolkit: its strength is that it plays well with other
tools. So, use them. Easy to fix pin numbers in a text editor.

Now, what *I'd* really like is the ability to draw generic
subcircuits without part numbers, footprints, pinouts, or values, and
choose these downstream. But that requires a refactored gnetlist, I
think...

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx