Re: gEDA-user: symbol files

On Thursday 12 November 2009 20:23:22 Bill Gatliff wrote:
> Peter TB Brett wrote:
> > On Thursday 12 November 2009 19:56:25 Kelvin Gardiner wrote:
> >> Having a quick look at a symbol file it seems there is no way to define
> >> different pin positions and order for different packages. Which is what
> >> Peter implied in his reply.
> >
> > Correct.
> >
> >> Is there any plans to work on this feature?
> >
> > Not that I am aware of.  Feel free to submit patches though!
>
> This is a potentially tricky feature, because for example some of the
> microcontrollers I have worked with have pins that aren't available on
> certain packages.  There are also cases where the pin mapping is just...
> wierd.  Consider even the lowly Atmel ATtiny45, which comes in DIP8 and
> MLF20.  Yep, an 8-pin package and a 20-pin package.  Guess which one has
> a bunch of no-connects?  :)
>
> IOW, I think that in the general case it isn't possible to pick a symbol
> independent of its package.  True, it works for a lot of devices, but
> not all of them...

Yep.  The reason this sort of feature isn't being developed (and hasn't
already *been* developed) is because it's neither clear how to get it right,
even if it's assumed that it's something that actually fits into the gEDA
paradigm!  Believe me, Peter C. and I have spent many an hour in coffee shops
puzzling over the "right way" to do this kind of thing, and still haven't
worked it out... ;-)

                                    Peter

--
Peter Brett <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>