Re: gEDA-user: symbol files

Peter TB Brett wrote:

> Yep.  The reason this sort of feature isn't being developed (and hasn't
> already *been* developed) is because it's neither clear how to get it right,
> even if it's assumed that it's something that actually fits into the gEDA
> paradigm!

Well, there is clearly a missing piece of data: mapping from logical
function onto package pin number.  gschem symbols should not force
direct physical pin numbers.  The symbols must allow for a pin number
mapping depending on a package selection attribute, and the schematic
should display the appropriately mapped pin number.  That part of the
gschem symbol def is simply broken/weak. (And was addressed sometime in
the last millennium by other cad packages... like 1980's time frame.)

The mapping of logical pin identifier onto physical pin identifier (not
always a number either!) needs to be an extra set of mapping data.  For
convenience, it could be optional so that a mapping of 1:1, 2:2... n:n
doesn't have to be included in every symbol, it could be a default.

One of the things that gripes me about geda development is that we are
still arguing about whether it is "doable" to do stuff I used in the
1980's.  *sheesh*  There may not be any single "right" way to do it.
But there are certainly ways.

And yes, it *is* easy to sit here whining and yet not submit any
patches... thanks for asking :)

Reality check: Is this broken? Yup. Has this problem been solved before?
Yup. Does it get in the way of my current work flow?  No, I simply make
multiple symbols.  If the pins line up on the page, it is easy enough to
delete one and drop in its cousin.  Of course, I'm doing small designs.
    That work flow doesn't scale.

-dave