Re: gEDA-user: symbol files

DJ Delorie wrote:
>> Well, there is clearly a missing piece of data: mapping from logical
>> function onto package pin number.
>
> I've talked about one solution for this, many times in the past...  my
> idea is to tag the symbols with signal *names* and map the names to
> package/pinout via whatever does the gschem->pcb migration.
>
> That way, slotting and packaging are separate from the symbol, but can
> be encapsulated elsewhere (and perhaps back-annotated to the
> schematic).

Yes, exactly.  But of course it needs to be available to any netlister,
not just to pcb.  I'm not familiar with the netlister interface into
gschem, but it seems to me like the mapping function should be
transparent to the netlister.  gschem should interpret the symbol
according to some attribute that the netlister doesn't need to care
about, and simply gets pin numbers like it does now.

Oh... and +1 to names, not numbers.

-dave