Re: gEDA-user: symbol files

Well, easy problems are no fun  :-) .

I suppose that the possible solutions are:

Try to add something into current format. Such as a new symbol for a
package followed by the package name then on following lines a pin list
as now which ends with the next package, if this package line is not
found assume the current format. Messy.

Use a new file format that allows multiple packages. But this breaks old
symbols or if old symbols where also usable would be inconsistent. So is
no good.

Use a meta field, which would allow the GUI to point at other symbols,
may not be the most elegant solution, it relies on all symbol using the
meta field, but an easy fix.

Use a meta file with symbol name, datasheet etc, and a list of symbol
files. Each symbol file is in the current format, one for each package.
The Gui could read the meta file and then fetches the selected symbol.

What ideas have been preferred in the past? I wouldn't mind giving this
a go and seeing what can be done.

Kelvin