Re: gEDA-user: symbol files

Kelvin Gardiner wrote:
> Try to add something into current format.

Why not a new symbol attribute containing a comma-separated list of
alternate symbol files for the current symbol?  If that attribute isn't
found, then the GUI continues to work like it does today; if the
attribute is there, then we come up with some way to indicate via the
GUI that "there are two other symbols for this part that you might be
interested in...".  Presumably, each symbol file that contained this
attribute would also contain footprint information for that symbol.

If a symbol was compatible with more than one footprint as-is, then we
could use another attribute to provide a comma-separated list of
footprint options.

Based on what (little) I know about gaf, the above approach seems to be
minimally-invasive.

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff