Re: gEDA-user: Feature Request Status-Terminal instead of dialogue and info boxes

On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 18:35 +0000, Ineiev wrote:
> On 11/17/09, Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 14:11 +0000, Ineiev wrote:
> >> I think you may want to use this Frank Bergmann patch (I like it very
> >> much)
> >> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2779826&group_id=73743&atid=538813
> >> from PCB Sourceforge patch tracker, ID 2779826, posted 2009-04-23 19:58.
> >
> > Can you attach a screen-shot of it in use (or put one up somewhere)..
> > I've not got the time to build fetch and build with the patch, but I'm
> > interested to see what is being discussed.
>
> http://ineiev.users.sourceforge.net/pcb/graph/info.view.png
>
> > Does it work with the recent graphical DRC view?
>
> Yes, as you can see, it does, it was written for it.
>
> The new view has two tabs --- for DRC errors and for messages, there are
> also small buttons above it to `detach' it (it becomes a distinct window),
> close, clear logs and so on.

Neat.. (I think I might have seen a similar screen-shot before, but
perhaps not of the DRC part).

IMO, the best solution would be to grab the code of the "GDL" library
(docking library), and figure out how to use that to make various pieces
of the GTK HID PCB GUI dockable.

(We could take the code in-tree if desired, and possibly configure it so
the distros that wish could just build against an external version).

I already tried it in fact.. with the layer stack and tool-bar.
Unfortunately - the GDL library (whilst probably the best out there), is
really poorly documented. I gave up getting it to work, since there is
no simple overview of how it is _supposed to work_.

Anjuta and some others use it. (I think it came out of Anjuta). Its a
pity that gimp doesn't farm its widgets out into more re-usable
libraries (*), since they appear to have toolbar docking code too.

(*) Ok - after I wrote this, I figured out someone would point out the
origins of GTK+, so yes - I realise the irony in what I said.

Anyway, with GDL, I got to the point where I could tear off a toolbar /
side-pane, but could not re-attach it. Something "active" seemed missing
along the screen edge. Perhaps the docking widget thing resized to 0px
wide when I tore off the side-pane. Perhaps I'm forced to hand the
entire application main-area to the gdl_* widget to manage - I'm not
sure. (I tried this, and in some ways it worked better, but my attempts
to nail down the main drawing canvas and stop it placing my _vertical_
toobar horizontally above the canvas failed).

In any case.. I didn't get it working well enough, quick enough that I
was motivated to continue, but I have some basic code if anyone is
interested.

It would take more work to get to the level of the screen-shot, but I
believe it would be better not to re-invent the wheel when it comes to
docking widgets and app layouts.

This is hard code to get right (if you want the windows to take multiple
possible configurations), and it would be nice to leverage the work
others have done already.

Best wishes,

Peter C.