Re: gEDA-user: How to deal with single/dual parts?

   On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 6:46 AM, Dan McMahill <[1]dan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
   wrote:

   Michael Sokolov wrote:
   > Bill Gatliff <[2]bgat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
   >
   >> Now I'm beginning to see the problems with slotting and symbols the
   way
   >> we're doing them now: they unnecessarily tie the concept of a
   symbol to
   >> the concept of a component, because the pin numbers that we
   currently
   >> record in our symbols are also the pin numbers that the component
   maps
   >> to the pins of the component's package.  We have munged together
   the
   >> concepts of symbol and component in our "symbol" files, but can't
   seem
   >> to admit to that.
   >
   > You have hit the nail right on the head!  It was this very issue
   (the
   > fundamental difference between symbols and components) that played a
   > major factor in my decision to invent a new schematic file format
   for
   > uschem instead of merely writing a tool that prints gschem format
   > schematics into PostScript without requiring an X11 display or a
   > "modern" system to compile and run gEDA/gaf with all of its
   dependencies.

     and this is exactly why the small library I have defines the
     component
     in a simple ascii database and then awk reads that data and
     combines a
     symbol template with a footprint and produces a .sym file that has
     the
     footprint set along with the pin out.  Wouldn't be too terribly
     hard to
     do something similar for a different flow.

   This is what I do as well. I build components for everything other
   than
   passives.
    (* jcl *)

   --
   You can't create open hardware with closed EDA tools.
   twitter: [3]http://twitter.com/jluciani