Re: gEDA-user: How to deal with single/dual parts?

Stephan Boettcher wrote:
> Remotely related to this topic, I had this idea:
>
> Often, there are several choices for footprint, model, whatever
> attribute that need to to chosen at some point in the flow.  We have proposals
> for a kind of database to support the options.

I envision a directory hiearchy of symbol definition, component
definition, and footprint definition files, and the tool sweeps them at
startup and then builds an in-memory database with sqlite to manage them
at runtime.  Or something like that.

Keeping the data primitives separated until the last minute would make
external scripting easier and more consistent, I think, especially if we
offered a set of libraries to help with the common activities like
understanding relationships between symbols, components, packages and
footprints that all the various tools in a workflow (and custom
workflows) could share.

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff