Re: gEDA-user: How to deal with single/dual parts?

Peter TB Brett wrote:
> The gschem/libgeda Scheme API:
>
> - Is completely inconsistent in naming and calling pattern.
>
> - Has no useful documentation.
>
> - Lacks the ability to do meaningful manipulation of schematics/symbols.
>
> - Fails dismally at coping with having multiple schematics/symbols open at
> once.
>
> - Barely deserves to be described as an "API".

I know we're all pretty attached to gschem.  I know I am!

But, in the interest of brainstorming, is there another scriptable
drawing tool that we could adopt as an alternative?  Something like a
GPL Visio-ish program that already knows how to do the visualization
pretty well that we could co-opt so we could focus on the backend?

If I were inventing one from scratch, the frontend would be just about
visualization e.g. Visio, and then a boatload of backend plugins
(written in Python, Scheme, or some other language I also don't know)
would deal with the specific meanings in the context of schematic capture.

But *man*, this kind of visualization is such a solved problem, it
really feels like we're reinventing the wheel with gschem...

> [1] I'm a grad student, and my time is relatively inexpensive.

Hmmm.   I could kick in a few bucks next year.  Google Summer of Code,
perhaps?

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff