Re: gEDA-user: How to deal with single/dual parts?

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 13:16:23 +0900, Andrzej <ndrwrdck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 6:21 AM, Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> See this old diagram Peter B and I drew:
>>
>> http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:data_structure_design_discussion?s=data%
>> 20structure
>
> That looks perfect to me. In fact it is almost identical to what I use
> in pschem. Is there any particular reason for not including this model
> in gEDA?

Lack of time, and lack of backward-compatibility.  It would be hard if not
impossible to refactor libgeda to use this model; a rewrite would be
required.  Similarly, a new file format [1] would be required, because
under this model attributes and text are different things entirely.
Finally, it is necessary to verify that all the fancy things people want to
do are possible under this model, and develop the appropriate algorithms
and data structures.  A particular challenge would be how to efficiently
update the electrical and logical representations when graphical changes
are made.

I'd be very, very happy to help out if anyone wants to take this task on.
I'd prefer to see a C implementation, because then bindings could be
created for a variety of languages.

Peter

[1] Frankly, I'd like to see a "design database" file format which would be
a zipped-xml-based format similar to OpenDocument. (Yes, I know there are
regular list subscribers who don't like the idea).

--
Peter Brett <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Remote Sensing Research Group