Re: gEDA-user: version control and non text files

John Griessen:
> As I use version control for projects, I often have datasheets in pdf form
> and images along with the data that compresses well in git.
>
> Does anyone know a good way to deal with such files?

I usually do

 wget -x -N -c <url>

in ~/Net/http so I have the complete url to the file I'm viewing.
Good if I want to communicate with others, tough it can be a little
hard to find them again if I forgot their url...

> I'm thinking of making a script to move those files out of the git controlled directory
> and link to them and version control the links.  Then I could work on a project,
> change the reference docs a few times updating git all along, and after the activity dies
> down, copy the files I settled on back into the git repos. and commit them.

What I like to do is to have a bookmark file inside the repo with url
and title, like:

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/1768s.pdf ARM920T-based Microcontroller AT91RM9200
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/2502S.pdf ATmega8535L Summary
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/32003S.pdf AT32AP7000 Preliminary Summary

Another thing I have thought about is to scan through my ~/Net/http for
pdf files, extracting their text and put it in some search engine.
I would be nice to be able to do something like:

  my_search axiom relay
  my_search national buck converter

and get a list of urls I have downloaded, or why not

  my_search ... | while read a; do echo "$a"; xpdf "$a"; done

> What do you do to avoid git repos bloat with changes of docs you are using
> in the early phases of a project?

If you do something like

 mkdir Todo
 echo Todo/ >> .gitignore
 git-commit -m 'Todo/ is a work area git should not care about' .gitignore

then you have a work area *inside* the repo which git does not care about.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

---------
Aspö Data