gEDA-user: version control and non text files

As I use version control for projects, I often have datasheets in pdf form
and images along with the data that compresses well in git.

Does anyone know a good way to deal with such files?

I'm thinking of making a script to move those files out of the git controlled directory
and link to them and version control the links.  Then I could work on a project,
change the reference docs a few times updating git all along, and after the activity dies
down, copy the files I settled on back into the git repos. and commit them.

What do you do to avoid git repos bloat with changes of docs you are using
in the early phases of a project?

John Griessen
--
Ecosensory   Austin TX