Re: gEDA-user: FPGA, uC, and JTAG

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 05:24:21PM -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:
> True, but the xsvf file is much bigger than a simple serial bitstream,
> and the xsvf player is bigger than a raw spi dump...

A JTAG bit-banger is not hard to write (I've written at least two of
them), and a lot smaller than an xsvf file player.  The one I use routinely
now takes a small fraction of the 8K program space of an 8051 derivative
(CY7C68013).  The input file is the straight bitfile.  Granted it will
run a little slower than SPI, because unless you're exceptionally lucky
it won't be hardware accelerated.  It would be fun to take a crack at
the bit speed limit on that 96 MHz processor, though.

  -  Larry