Re: gEDA-user: a different approach to 3D modeling

On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 06:15 -0500, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> Not knowing anything of which I speak (write?), would COLLADA
> (https://collada.org/mediawiki/index.php/COLLADA_-_Digital_Asset_and_FX_Exchange_Schema)
> fit the bill?  I just happened to stumble across it last week on
> something totally unrelated, and then noticed your email saying "I
> need an open 3D exchange format."

Blender imports and exports it too, which is nice. I just exported a
simple cube from blender into Collada format, and it isn't too
frightening, but it is not so simple as VRML.

Perhaps it ranks as "nice to have", especially if there is some good
modelling software which only makes that format.

For now, I think in the spirit of co-operation with our FOSS bretheren /
competitors, VRML is the way forward. In the short term, we benefit from
pre-existing models from KiCad, in the long term, we both benefit from
more users generating models.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,