Re: gEDA-user: a different approach to 3D modeling

On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 17:43 +0000, Peter Clifton wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 06:15 -0500, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> > Not knowing anything of which I speak (write?), would COLLADA
> > (https://collada.org/mediawiki/index.php/COLLADA_-_Digital_Asset_and_FX_Exchange_Schema)
> > fit the bill?  I just happened to stumble across it last week on
> > something totally unrelated, and then noticed your email saying "I
> > need an open 3D exchange format."
>
> Blender imports and exports it too, which is nice. I just exported a
> simple cube from blender into Collada format, and it isn't too
> frightening, but it is not so simple as VRML.
>
> Perhaps it ranks as "nice to have", especially if there is some good
> modelling software which only makes that format.

By which I mean Google Sketchup, of course.. I've not used it myself, as
it dies under Wine for me (setting up GL), but apparently it is good.
Unfortunately only the "Pro" (pay-for) version supports export to VRML.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,