Re: gEDA-user: Inkscape text->pstoedit->pcb and importing PostScript/PDF/EPS vector graphics with holes

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 15:25:49 -0600
Mark Rages <markrages@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've seen this bug before too.  Try "text to path" in Inkscape.  If
> that fails, binary search for the offending text: Delete half of it,
> try again, etc.  Please do file the bug on pstoedit.

Workaround validated.  Thanks for the tip.

Using Path | Object to Path in inkscape on my text ("A"), export to PS,
and use pstoedit -f pcbfill Text_Path.ps -ssp Text_Path-ssp.pcb works.
I also tried this for longer text strings in more complex fonts and it
worked there as well.

I found three conditions that had to all be satisfied for this to work:

(1) You must use Path | Object to Path in Inkscape.  The Save As
PostScript output option to "convert text to paths" does not work.

(2) The pstoedit -ssp option is required, or else the hole in the "A" is
filled.

(3) The pstoedit pcbfill driver (not pcb) is required or else the
outline of the "A" is not filled in and the letter is drawn as an
outline and is not easily readable.

Regards,
Colin