Re: gEDA-user: PCB+GL resistor p0rn

Hi,

I compiled the latest version of FreeCAD and OpenCASCADE on my machine
(with NVidia 8600 195.36.15, Debian 5.0.6). The compile worked reasonable
and FreeCAD starts, but when I try to model something, e.g. cut a sphere
out of a cube or chamfer and fillet the cube the screen-output is rubbish.
Otherwise your general path appears reasonable to me.

As it's only free as in beer, I don't fully suggest it, but gCAD3D seems
to produce stable results - How about forging the script in a way
to have the 3D-CAD program select the model it likes and really emit
only XYRS, the footprint and ev. provide a table that correlates
the footprint with a (choice of) 3D-model(s)?

BTW. gCAD3D can read/write IGES, STEP and it's own documented ascii-format.

Matthew Wilkins wrote:
If it was me, I think I'd make a script for some 3D modelling package like FreeCAD to generate a 3D model using PCB's XY place file output.

The process would be:

1.  make FreeCAD 3D models for each of the components
2.  generate an XY place file, board outline file and drill file in PCB
3. run a python script in FreeCAD that generates a model of the board based on the outline gerber file.
    Make holes using data from the drill file.
4. Run a script that makes an assembly by placing components based on the XY place file.

At this point you should have a 3D model of the board, right in a 3D CAD program that can be used to model enclosures and other parts.