Re: gEDA-user: Re: an attribute editor program

Hi Stuart,

El mié, 22-10-2003 a las 18:30, Stuart Brorson escribió:
> Hi Carlos --
>
> > Hi Stuart,
> > I was thinking about that before. I agree that gschem attribute handling
> > should be improved, but I think it should be done within gschem, without
> > requiring the user to use other programs (doing that with external
> > programs will be only a fix, but not the solution).

[snip]

> As for embedding it inside gschem -- again, I like the unix philosophy:
> make each tool do *one* thing well.  Gschem is great for schematic
> capture.  However, attaching/editing attributes is a little painful,
> particularly if you have a large schematic and want to attach many
> attributes at once.  Therefore, a tool which reads and writes .sch
> files and handles attribute editing easily & well would be a good
> thing.
>
> The same tool could also be used to attach routing attributes to nets,
> similar to Mentor's ePlanner or Cadence's SpecctraQuest.

Well, it sounds interesting. I would want to see also hierarchy
information when doing that kind of things (could be useful for special
devices on some parts of the design).
For example, the possibility to edit attributes of all parts in a
schematic, a set of schematics defined by the user, a given set of
hierarchical blocks, or the whole design.
I think that knowing exactly the design's parts you are changing is very
important...

[snip]
> > The other simple option is to use the GtkSheet widget, from the
> > libgtkextra library, used succesfully in SciGraphica
> > (http://gtkextra.sourceforge.net/). A little search at geda shows it was
> > suggested before..
> > I don't know its state, if it's actively developed (the last news entry
> > is from 2001...), if it's changed its homepage, or what happens to it.
>
> Thank you for the suggestion.  I will look at it.  All suggestions I
> have received are for C widgets.  Perhaps I will have to BOHICA and
> write it up in C.  Yuck!

[snip]

Sure you already know there are bindings to use GTK in Python, for
example ( http://www.daa.com.au/~james/software/pygtk/ ).

Maybe someone has already done the binding to those widgets, making you
a very happy man in the world.

Loot at http://python-gtkextra.sourceforge.net/

It seems interesting... :-)

Carlos

P.D. I assume no responsabily or liability for the links in this email.

Juega con Ventura24.es, lotería inteligente y multiplica tus
posibilidades!! http://www.iespana.es/_reloc/email.ventura