gEDA-user: Re: free Xilinx compiler

> Karel Kulhavý wrote:
>
> Free as no cost required to _run_ the thing. I. e., a tool that costs 0
> to download and runs on Windows only that cost $$$ a licence is of
> no interest for me.

You may try do download it (webpack) and then run under wine. I am afraid GUI
will not run, but it is just an wrapper over several command line programs
which should run fine under wine. It would be an interesting project to come up
with Makefile doing .v -> ... -> .bit or .svf or .jed or whatever final format
you want. Since I have it installed both on Windows and I also have a
commercial Linux version, I would tell you which commands with which command
line options are needed for each step. I also have feeling this is documented
in some voluminous PDF files (either on Xilinx website, or you get them when
you install Webpack).

The source you need is Verilog and UCF file with pin assignments and timing
contraints.

Feel free to email me privately if you have such questions.

well, xapp058 from Xilinx (I have ported it to Linux), or naxjp (english
version gone?), or jamplayer from Altera, probably many others.

Best regards,
--
Tomasz Motylewski
BFAD GmbH & Co. KG