Re: project hosting (was Re: gEDA-user: PCB search function)

On Oct 16, 2004, at 6:33 PM, Charles Lepple wrote:
If software were available to implement the same functionality, I'd
happily offer to host the PCB stuff here.  PCB has been extremely
useful to me, and I'd love to give something back.
GForge is based on the SourceForge tree, from before the code went
proprietary. It's even packaged up in Debian.
  Hmm, very interesting.

Having said that, anyone who is even considering setting up something
like SF/GForge should be prepared to give up a solid week of their
evening coding time to coerce the system into doing what they want.
GForge is not something that you can easily drop into an existing
system-- it really wants one or more dedicated machines for the task.
No problem there. [Dave looks at stack of spare UltraSPARC gear sitting in corner] =)

Dave: I'm not trying to pick on you, just trying to save you some
potential frustration later. On another project, I wanted
SourceForge's functionality without their downtime, which led me to
investigate GForge. That project is on its fourth hosting service (two
of which were run by project members). Maybe the fifth one will be
"just right"...
Well, I don't use any type of hosting service (I have pretty reasonable facilities here), so that wouldn't be an issue for me. I don't really like the idea of spending tons of time to beat GForge into submission, though.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire "Put down that trout!"
Cape Coral, FL -Gary Nichols