project hosting (was Re: gEDA-user: PCB search function)

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 17:16:24 -0400, Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com> wrote:
> If software were available to implement the same functionality, I'd
> happily offer to host the PCB stuff here.  PCB has been extremely
> useful to me, and I'd love to give something back.

GForge is based on the SourceForge tree, from before the code went
proprietary. It's even packaged up in Debian.

<rant>
Having said that, anyone who is even considering setting up something
like SF/GForge should be prepared to give up a solid week of their
evening coding time to coerce the system into doing what they want.
GForge is not something that you can easily drop into an existing
system-- it really wants one or more dedicated machines for the task.

Plus, a lot of groups like Savannah and Alioth are finding out that it
is hard to keep up with their corporate counterparts like
Tigris.org/Collab.net, BerliOS.de and SourceForge.

Dave: I'm not trying to pick on you, just trying to save you some
potential frustration later. On another project, I wanted
SourceForge's functionality without their downtime, which led me to
investigate GForge. That project is on its fourth hosting service (two
of which were run by project members). Maybe the fifth one will be
"just right"...

Karel: If you want better performance from SourceForge, you can pay
for a membership. If you want people to be able to contribute directly
to your project through SourceForge, you can do that too. Just don't
expect everything from a free service.
</rant>

--
- Charles Lepple