gEDA-user: questions to PCB custom silkscreen contents

I am using PCB 20050315 (Xaw) and have problems in setting up the silkscreen for PCB production of my first board.
I want that not all the RefDes and components outlines are included (as many small SMD text wont match the printing technology requirements).
I like to have only some large connector's RefDes on it.
I expected that the standard "silk" layer cant be used for it.
So i tried a other free layer and placed the desired strings on it. But now, when generating a postscript check-printout, i see that all the trough-hole pads occur also on this layer, making it impossible to use it for silkscreen printing as then the pads wont solder from the component side.
Anyone knows how to solve ?

Next qestion is on Text dimensions. When i set Text size 1.0 what are the resulting Text height and linewidth [mils] in the gerber files ?
When setting Text size larger it seems that the linewidth is not made bigger. How is that possible ?

Michael