Re: gEDA-user: home-made 4 layer board idea

DJ Delorie wrote:
The biggest problem with home-made boards is the vias, right? What if
you drilled the outer panels with larger holes, so that you could
solder to the inner layers?

Sounds reasonable when you allow for extra area, which is also reasonable for a start on a product with low volume, and afford a re-layout later.

You wouldn't even need copper on the
unused outer layer, you could just drill it out.

What do you mean by that above? What unused?

----------========== ||  ==========----------
---------------===== ||  =====---------------
                   | ||  |
---------------===== ||  =====---------------
----------========== ||  ==========----------

This char picture I am confused by -- the outside holes are not larger....

                   | ||  |
                      \\-----

The top half of this I see as larger holes
and a wire put through for connectivity.

Right?

John G