Re: gEDA-user: home-made 4 layer board idea

> Sounds reasonable when you allow for extra area, which is also
> reasonable for a start on a product with low volume, and afford a
> re-layout later.

Right.  In the photos, the pads that are "relevent" are larger.

> > You wouldn't even need copper on the unused outer layer, you could
> > just drill it out.
>
> What do you mean by that above?  What unused?

If you're connecting a power layer to the opposite outer layer, just
get rid of the near-side outer layer completely.  See the last
diagram; imagine drilling a hole through the top signal layer big
enough that there's no copper left.

> > ----------========== ||  ==========----------
> > ---------------===== ||  =====---------------
> >                    | ||  |
> > ---------------===== ||  =====---------------
> > ----------========== ||  ==========----------
> >
> This char picture I am confused by -- the outside holes are not larger....

This is for a signal-signal via; the wire goes from one outer layer to
the other, and the outer layer pads are larger.

> > ----------=====   --\\        =====----------
> > ----------========== ||  ==========----------
> >                    | ||  |
> >                       \\-----
> >
> The top half of this I see as larger holes
> and a wire put through for connectivity.
>
> Right?

Right.  This is a case where the top power layer connects to the
bottom signal layer.  The top signal layer has an arbitrarily large
hole; you'd want something large enough to poke your iron in there to
solder.