Re: gEDA-user: Automatic repositioning to attributes

Hi Antonio,

El miÃ, 18-10-2006 a las 22:33 -0200, Antonio Augusto Todo Bom Neto
escribiÃ:
[snip]
> Well, I just donÂt like because we work with some norms about design.
>
> I.E.:
> One resistor in vertical position must have RefDes at its right,
> aligned the anchor to the upper pin end, anchor at up/left to text.
> Its Value, with anchor align to the bottom pin end, ancho down/left to
> the text. Always 2mm distant from resistor body.
>
> One horizontal resistor, RefDes, the RefDes must be with the anchor
> above the resistor, center, and the anchor is center/down to the text.
> The Value bellow the resistor.
>
> The same to capacitors.
>
> All ICs must be a 800 mils witdht box, the length (up/down) is free.
> Its RefDes must be above the box, align to its left corner, 2 mm
> above. The typenumber must be inside the box, at the bottom center.
> Microcontrolers, processors must be 1000mils.
> OpAmps and some special functions ICs can have special designs.
>
> Well... There are some others specifications to design a diagram to
> ABNT norms (ABNT=Tech. Norms Brazilian Association)
> ABNT rulez about ALL and AT ALL to industry here. About toys, builds,
> aircraft, cars, machines, etc. Either our Metro Dpt. for example
> (INMETRO) follows ABNT.
>
> So...
>
> All that we have been here is to design all symbols with their right
> positioned attributes from scratch.
[snip]

That's the reason I wrote this new feature. People like you are the ones
who may use this kind of tool.

If you look for "default-position-of-text-attributes" in your
system-gschemrc file, you will find the default position definition of
pin and component attributes.
I think you can adapt it to your norms and let gschem to do the hard
work for you.

Let me explain:
For component attributes, there are 4 sections:
 - one direction: components having pins in only one side. '<' means the
symbol have pins on the right side.
 - two directions: components having pins in two sides. "<>" means the
symbol have pins on left and right side.
 - 3 directions, and
 - 4 directions are similar

These sections are there for different component angles. A vertical
resistor will have pins on the top and on the bottom ("^v") while an
horizontal resistor will have them on the right and on the left ("<>").

So if we analyze what a configuration line means, for example:

; Two directions
; Name  Direct. X_offset Y_offset Reference      Alignment     Angle
("refdes" "<>"    -50       50   "Upper Middle"  "Lower Right"    0)
This line is defining the default place for those "refdes" attributes
for components having pins on the left and on the right ("<>", second
entry).
The default place is the "Upper Middle" (reference) of the symbol (i.e.:
at the top (Y axis), in the middle (X axis)), with a x offset of 50 mils
to the left, and an y offset of 50 mils to the top.
The text alignment is "Lower right" and the text angle is 0.

Using this feature, you can define the places where you want the
attributes, and let gschem to place them for you, even when rotating or
mirroring the component.
You don't have to wonder if the symbol has the attributes placed where
you want them.

>From your comment, I guess the refdes attribute position depends on the
type of the symbol: if it's a resistor or a capacitor then you want it
at one place, but if it's an IC, then you put it at another place. Am I
right?. This is not currently possible, but I think it could be done.

I'd really appreciate if you could give this new feature a try and let
me know what points can be improved.

Thanks,

Carlos