Re: gEDA-user: Symbol embedding by default - with case studies

> This would be very convenient. As long as the contractor has gschem s/he can
> immediately use the schematic. No utilities. No configuration files.
> Just one .sch file
> and you are done.
>
> (* jcl *)

If enough information was present in this embedded symbol .sch file,
couldn't you just add an option to extract the embedded symbols and dump
them into a local symbol folder?  One command to embed symbols - one
command to extract symbols. This way I could: 1) open the design with
embedded symbols, 2) dump the symbols to a local location, 3) edit the
symbols, and 4) repackage the revised schematic. If a time stamp were
part of the embedded symbol structure, you could alleviate revision
conflicts if unpacking a revised library on top of an older, existing one.

Scripts are always an option, but a more elegant, user-friendly solution
would bring many more people to the table - if that is one of the goals :)

Ryan