Re: gEDA-user: More eye-candy

On Sun, 2009-10-18 at 21:49 -0400, gene glick wrote:

> > Sorry to hear that. I'm not sure, but my best guess for actually
> > crashing Linux would be bad video card drivers for the OpenGL stuff.
> > Which video card / drivers do you use?
>
> Thanks for any help - looks like the graphics chipset is intel 945GM.
> Lsmod shows driver is i915, and modinfo i915 shows the driver is from
> Tungsten Graphics, Inc.

My old laptop has that chipset.. if I ever get it attached to a screen
(the panel broke), I'll test it.

> I see that Intel offers a driver as well.  The one I use came with
> Slackware.  Maybe it's worth changing to Intel version.

Tungsten graphics wrote the 3D driver for Intel. The 3D (and 2D) drivers
have been getting better and better IMO. I'm using mesa (3D) version
7.7.0 (ish), and 2D driver version 2.9.0. (Which requires a recent
kernel).

Btw.. the kernel module (i915) is for i915 chips upwards. Mine is a
965GM (I think), and uses the same driver.

The 945 and 965 do have different 3D capabilities, and different 3D
drivers though - so I can't point you at a "known good" setup.

Best wishes,

Peter C.