Re: gEDA-user: Information on PCB

On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 10:08 -0700, Jared Casper wrote:

> Sure, but it takes at least a bit more effort to make a patch ready to
> submit to the project (make the code more general purpose as opposed
> to a quick hack, clean up the code, test with other hid's/workflows,

Yep... that's why the PCB+GL code, and all the polygon speedup stuff
sitting underneath it is still in my private repository ;)

I'm working on fixing that though!

> write out a good commit log, wait for sourceforge's slow pages, etc.)
>  And I think if developers discourage their users from doing this (by
> visibly ignoring patches from others) they are missing out on a vast
> resource that is a huge part of open source software.

Sourceforge is where patches go to die.. unfortunate, but true.

I'm not sure I even get mails about PCB's trackers. (I know I do for the
gEDA ones though).

Best to nag the people who might actually apply the patch (on list, or
directly by private email - if on-list doesn't work ;)).

Dan, DJ, Ben Jackson, myself ....

Keep writing good patches, and you'll find yourself with git commit
access soon enough.. then you will not have to worry about the lost
patch problem - just the QA issues you identified above.

I'm stuck in QA hell with the PCB+GL stuff at the moment ;)

Best wishes,

Peter C.