Re: gEDA-user: Information on PCB

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sourceforge is where patches go to die.. unfortunate, but true.
>
> I'm not sure I even get mails about PCB's trackers. (I know I do for the
> gEDA ones though).

That is unfortunate, looks like there are some helpful patches in there...

> Best to nag the people who might actually apply the patch (on list, or
> directly by private email - if on-list doesn't work ;)).
>
> Dan, DJ, Ben Jackson, myself ....

Maybe a sentence on pcb.gpleda.org, on the "Reporting Bugs" page, that
mentions it is better to email this list with patches then to post to
Sourceforge is in order?  Right now it says that SF is the place for
bugs (which it may still be?) but one would assume that means it is
also the place for patches (which it appears it isn't).

> I'm stuck in QA hell with the PCB+GL stuff at the moment ;)

I definitely appreciate that effort, I haven't looked back after using
your branch for the first time for my (limited amount of) PCB design.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Oh.. and for what its worth.. it is hard enough understanding, checking
> and reviewing _my own_ patches.. let along someone else's!
>
> The more complex / messy the code the patch deals with (and lets face
> it, PCB has a lot of messy and / or complicated code), the harder it is
> to be sure that a given patch is "right".

I can understand that, but remember you're GL patches are in a
completely different ball park than most user-produced patches. :)  I
would expect a complex/messy change from a user to be fairly difficult
to get into the mainline, but small bug fixes and tweaks that only
touch a handful of lines shouldn't be too much trouble.

Thanks again for all your work... I've had a good time learning how to
make PCBs in this last year, which I definitely would not have done
without free software to do it.

Jared