Re: gEDA-user: PCB grid question

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:46:47PM +0200, Stefan Salewski wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 22:12 +0200, michalwd1979 wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > During design of my first more complicated board I run into problems
> > with grids - element's pins often do not fall onto grid point.
>
> Sure -- if I have an element with 0.65 mm pitch and one with 0.5 mm
> pitch it will not fit nice.

And if you have even two wit the same grid and different orientations
(pin 1 on top or bottom) or with a different number of pins, they will
not even be always aligned from PCB point of view due to the rounding
to 0.01mil. This leaves small dots when you delete a track and move/remove
a component. (It would be less of a problem if internal PCB units were
metric, almost all the component I use now are metric and the imperial
ones are on a grid of 5µ I believe).

> I assume you know that "Settings/Crosshair snaps to Pins/Pads" can help
> to ensure that traces go to the center of pads. And that you know that
> you can grab elements at center or at individual pads for positioning.
> (For version 20081128 pads have two snapping points -- not always what I
> want...)

Indeed, I do not understand the reason for this change, having one snap
point at the center of the pad was much nicer for me in practice.

	Gabriel