Re: gEDA-user: PCB+GL testing

On Fri, 2009-10-23 at 09:35 +0200, Duncan Drennan wrote:
> >  * Pieces of polygon are NOT drawn until you connect to them with:
> >    * A via thermal
> >    * A "joined" line
> >    * (IIRC) Adjacent contact to another "pour" piece which is connected
>
> Are thermals for pads possibly supported in the GL branch? Or to ask
> that differently, is there a way for connections to pads to allow the
> polygon to extend into allowable areas? I haven't checked this out or
> worked with it, just asking out of interest.

Thermals to pads are not supported, no. To make them connect to the
plane, you need (same as now), a line with the "join" flag set. The line
will join with the polygon and the pad.

Now to bore you with some technical trivia.. in the action syntax, you
"set", the "join" flag. In the file-format, and internally; it is
actually the _absence_ of the "clearline" flag.

<further off topic>

Just to further complicate matters, the SetLineJoin() and ClrLineJoin()
functions in the code actually set / clear the "clearline" flag, so when
I execute the action: "setflag(selected,join)", the function called is
ClrLineJoin().

Can't tell you how long it took to get my head around that the first
time I tried to work out what was going on ;)

</further off topic>

I bet it wouldn't be _that_ hard to add supports for pad thermals -
assuming the pad is rectangular. I've just checked, and noted that some
of our existing thermal styles don't work so well when the pin is
octagonal. (That's another little known PCB flag):

"setflag(selected,octagon)" will make octagonal pins / vias.

Best wishes,

Peter C.