Re: gEDA-user: Information on PCB

On 10/27/09, Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 05:47 +0000, Ineiev wrote:
>> On 10/27/09, Ineiev <ineiev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Try the attached patch; it introduces SwapSides_nogui action for such
>> Awfully sorry, forgot to commit a typo fix;
>> and there is no need in `compatible' with GTK and Lesstif hids
>> arguments parsing.
>>
>> BTW, it seems to me that it does not really changes the groups
>> visibility: I press Tab with `component' layer from the component
>> group active and see the same `component' above all; the pads
>> are shown from the right side, though. am I doing
>> something wrong? I stack the patches on top of current master.
>
> You might want "Settings.ShowSolder" or something like that.

Thanks, I'll check.

> To be honest though, I'm not sure it is that desirable to have a generic
> "swap sides" action in the core - since for some exporters, it would be
> meaningless.

Extrapolating, SwapSides should not change any core variables, so
no exporter might know what side is actually shown.
--photo-flip- options do implement this approach, OTOH
I believe that the exporters that don't need some state values
e.g. layer colours or visibility are just free to ignore them;
there is nothing wrong in letting them read full state. probably there
is no strict rule.

> I certainly wouldn't call it _nogui... either it is a sufficient
> interface for all applications (possibly requiring a new API in the HID
> structure to call into the GUI), or it should not go in.

Actually, I wrote it for batch GUI (in hid/batch/batch.c),
but then realised that exactly the same might be suitable for Kai-Martin
case, too (after renaming the action to avoid names conflict);
I just asked if it worked for him.

Certainly, it would be nice if there were single action for all,
though I'm not quite sure that I want HID interface to grow
in this particular case (which would mean another string
in every hid, while most of them will never use it) ---
I'm afraid it will become unreasonably long
some day. Just my impression which often is wrong.

I'll try to refactor the code if you think it's worth doing.