Re: gEDA-user: Information on PCB

Hi Jared,

On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 23:23 -0700, Jared Casper wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 11:01 PM, Bert Timmerman
> <bert.timmerman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > What remains to be done is to update and apply patch [1733991] in the SF
> > tracker with the Doxygen configuration files.
> >
> > The patch is from 2007-09-09 and is having some bit rot, it needs to be
> > updated since the pcb tree moved from CVS to git.
> >

> ... on this note, I for one would be more willing/excited to
> contribute more to PCB if the developers were more responsive to
> patches.  The SF tracker is full of open patches, some of which are
> discussed, but most of which sit there with no reply at all from the
> developers.  I've also seen a few patches sent to this list (mine
> included, but others as well) go completely ignored.  I realize this
> all takes precious time away from development, but IMHO, spending 15

IMHO, this is considered to be real development and regarded as most
valuable as it is done by a user scratching her/his own itch and in the
process solving her/his real life problems.

> minutes to look at a patch that someone has spent a good amount of
> time putting together (almost certainly way more time than it takes to
> review/apply it) is generally better spent than 15 minutes on the
> source code, whether or not the patch ends up getting accepted. It is
> hard to justify spending time working on a project when there's a
> decent chance that your work will be ignored.

<my own strong opinion>

It is __NOT__ a Good Thing (TM) to ignore this kind of feedback
(patches) from the user base !

</strong opinion>

I can understand that developers need bread on the table, just as any
other person, and this requires a full day job for most devs, if not
all.
One might be lucky to find >= 10 hours a week to spend on her/his
projects of choice.

Being able to spend time on free/open software is precious these days.

OTOH, the number of patches and the time it takes to get this issue
solved is getting further out of proportion by the month, old bit rotten
patches need to be weeded out soon.
Maybe some dedicated code sprint in the near future ?

> Just my two cents,  </rant>
>
> Jared

My EUR 0.02 as well.

Kind regards,