Re: gEDA-user: Working on xgsch2pcb-0.1.3 for Gentoo

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 03:36 +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:

> What would be most useful is a way to transfer a selection from gschem to
> pcb: Close neighbors on the schematic tend to be good candidates for
> close neighbors on the layout. Currently I do this transfer semi manually
> with the aid of the find dialog in pcb: Read the refdeses in gschem and
> enter them as a regexp to the find dialog. Then do "disperse-selected".

Somewhat difficult to do for all cases (e.g. hierarchical boards,
mangled net-names output from gnetlist).

I think you need to emit a list of gschem refdes for a given schematic
page, then feed into gnetlist (with a suitably modified back-end,
possibly additional front-end functionality too), so effectively you are
asking gnetlist:

Given this list of refdes:

R1
R54
U34
C9

What is the output refdes on the board.

The answer might be:

X3/R1
X3/R2
X3/U1
C9

(Depending on what gnetlist back-end people are using, possibly
including their own modifications).

We know the gnetlist _front_ end does the hierarchy names. Still.. the
netlist backend has an ability to provide new refdes for an input name.

gschem may need to provide context to gnetlist for which level of
hierarchy you are in. (My "input-buffer.sch" might be used in multiple
places). That makes things trickier! Perhaps the query ends up being:

top.sch:X3/input_section.sch:X2/input-buffer.sch/R1

(gnetlist given top.sch could then track the name.. it might also be
able to cope with "X3/X2/R1" directly).

Finally, assuming you have some process to query gnetlist for a the
correct refdes, you need to use PCB actions to select elements by name
(that "might" already exist, I can't recall).

__OR__

Code for the common case of gschem refdes == PCB refdes, and accept that
for some advanced users it won't work at present.

<summary>
	This is not easy to do correctly in a flexible suite like gEDA.
</summary>

Best wishes,

Peter C.