Re: gEDA-user: Working on xgsch2pcb-0.1.3 for Gentoo

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:29:41 +0000, Peter Clifton wrote:

> Somewhat difficult to do for all cases (e.g. hierarchical boards,
> mangled net-names output from gnetlist).

I know...

> Finally, assuming you have some process to query gnetlist for a the
> correct refdes, you need to use PCB actions to select elements by name
> (that "might" already exist, I can't recall).

This action does indeed exist. In the GTK HID it can be found in the
Select menu:
	Select -> Select_by_name -> Elements
This is the find dialog I referred to when I described my manual work
around to compile a selection. Fortunately, the dialog understands regexp
syntax and can do AND-searches.

> __OR__
>
> Code for the common case of gschem refdes == PCB refdes, and accept that
> for some advanced users it won't work at present.

__OR__
Code for the common case of gschem refdes == PCB refdes, and let the
advanced user hint to the algorithm how to correctly mangle the initial
refdes. A text field with an editable prefix in the find dialog might
already do the job.
If the selection contains components from different sheets, this still
does not work. However, this is an exception of an exception.

> <summary>
> 	This is not easy to do correctly in a flexible suite like gEDA.
> </summary>

A missing feature means "not working" in all cases. So, a feature that
does not work for all cases, is way better than none. Adding the ability
to transfer selections only for the most common case does not in any way
interfere with the current work-flow. Each and every trick and technique
will still work like before.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak