Re: gEDA-user: pcb crooked traces

On Oct 7, 2010, at 7:50 AM, Stefan Salewski wrote:

>> Another thought,  When I am laying out mixed pitch mm vs mil parts, I
>> often leave the grid at a comfortable 10 or 25 mil setting. Turn on
>> snaps to pins and pads. Then I largly ignore the grid.  What I am
>> saying here is that I Use the grid as a guideline.
>>
>> So to accomplish this I draw from the off grid pin out to the pcb and
>> let the 45degree tail end on the grid.  then off to the rest of the
>> layout, on grid.
>>
>> When that tail is not quite correct, while drawing I use the u key to
>> undo the 45 degree tail,  this leaves the off grid stub that i can
>> continue drawing from.
>>
>> Having a small grid usuially allows me to make a messier layout.
>>

> Fine description, maybe such a text should be part of a beginner
> tutorial.
>

>> If these things don't help then we have a bug.....
>>

> Sure, we had bugs, and maybe some are still alive. 8 mil traces with 8
> mil clearance can be a problem due to arithmetic errors, 8 may be
> rounded up to next grid position, which is 9 with 1 mil grid. (I would
> use 8 mil traces, 8 mil grid and 7.9mil clearance to prevent problems)
> And we had the problem of 0.01 mil traces due to arithmetic errors when
> mm units are used. I guess the step to nm base units in PCB is still on
> the todo list.

I've had perfectly explainable jaggies that occur when I am routing parallel traces.  The 2nd through Nth traces of a parallel group can be pushed up against the previous traces as close as min-space, and therefore end up off-grid.  This is great for routing density, but leads to a little weirdness when breaking them out again.  One sources of  jaggies occurs when I form a straight track with two or more segments, one that is off-grid and the new one on.  Also "snap to center of pad" is often off-grid for TQFP's, etc, so that is another source of geometric oddities.

I've never had a jaggie that wasn't a PEBKAC, or that couldn't be fixed by a little bit of careful editing.

-dave