gEDA-user: pcb for kitchens (was: Re: pcb crooked traces)

On Oct 8, 2010, at 8:57 AM, Levente Kovacs wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 10:31:10 -0400
> Rick Collins <gnuarm.2006@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Personally, I can't imagine a PCB larger than 2 meters much less 4
>> meters.  Or is the possibility of uses other than PCB design being
>> considered here?
>
> I ended up designing my kitchen layout using PCB. I started with QCAD, gave a
> try for SweetHome (for java), and  IKEA's tool. I realised that PCB was good
> for the job.

?? Wow.  I use QCad a lot, so I've climbed the considerable learning curve, but designing a kitchen is something where I would definitely choose QCad over pcb.  pcb is great for... pcbs... who'da thunk it? But if I'm doing something that is going to be fab'ed in my wood shop on a CNC tool, QCad is a better fit.

I admit that QCad's UI takes some work to learn, but fundamentally it is very well done and once you learn a few tricks you can really fly with it.

All that said, QCad is a 2D tool, and for architectural design a 3D tool is going to be better, assuming it is complete enough.

-dave