Re: gEDA-user: pcb crooked traces

On Oct 8, 2010, at 8:57 AM, Levente Kovacs wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 10:31:10 -0400
> Rick Collins <gnuarm.2006@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Personally, I can't imagine a PCB larger than 2 meters much less 4
>> meters.  Or is the possibility of uses other than PCB design being
>> considered here?

FYI -- the largest dimension I ever did on a board was 54 inches.  The board was 54 x 5 inches.  It was a specialized back-plane board.  As I recall (this was in the 1980's) the 54" limit was determined by the maximum panel size of our vendor.  The actual raw pcb panel was a little larger, but 54 inches allowed appropriate margins.  Even as it was, the  board was odd-ball enough that we had to hunt for a vendor that actually wanted the business (of course, it was a controlled-impedance board also, so it had some other unusual specification in addition).

I couldn't say what the standard panel sizes are in the industry, but I could make an effort to find out.  Of course, that could grow over time, but somehow I don't think a 4m x 4m board is likely even in the long term.

IMHO, pcb design decisions should be based around making pcb a good tool for designing pcb's... if people find other uses or it, OK fine, but don't drive design decisions around odd-ball uses.  There are other tools for mechanical CAD, architectural, etc.

-dave