Re: gEDA-user: GPLv3 question

On Oct 6, 2010, at 3:20 PM, Geoff Swan wrote:

> So just to clarify - if you distribute an embedded device that runs a
> GPLv3 binary; to comply with the GPLv3 you must not only provide the
> source, but also a hardware-programmer/uploader?
> I suppose in most cases this isn't necessarily a huge issue - where
> firmware upgrade capability is built into the device (such as most
> routers, and development style boards).
>
> I play with the Atmel AVR range a fair bit and typically only create
> boards that require a separate hardware programmer to upload firmware.
> In this case to distribute such a board with GPLv3 firmware I would
> technically need to provide the in-circuit-programmer with the board
> and source.

IANAL, but that is not my interpretation.  Certainly, GPLv3 precludes you from making it impossible to update the software by requiring secret keys and such.  But I always thought  you were in compliance as long as you provided all source, and that someone with the skills and easily available tools could reprogram the device.  I don't even see the necessity of providing the standard ISP or JTAG connector.... as long as the nets are exposed and you can clip into them with an octopus pod on a JTAG ICE, you are in compliance, although it won't win you many friends.

After all, if you write an open source pcb design package, you don't have to ship a color monitor with it to be in compliance with the GPL, the user can provide his own.  The user can provide his own AVRISP clone just as well.

-dave