Re: gEDA-user: GPLv3 question

So just to clarify - if you distribute an embedded device that runs a
GPLv3 binary; to comply with the GPLv3 you must not only provide the
source, but also a hardware-programmer/uploader?
I suppose in most cases this isn't necessarily a huge issue - where
firmware upgrade capability is built into the device (such as most
routers, and development style boards).

I play with the Atmel AVR range a fair bit and typically only create
boards that require a separate hardware programmer to upload firmware.
In this case to distribute such a board with GPLv3 firmware I would
technically need to provide the in-circuit-programmer with the board
and source.

I could imagine in some cases the uC may be programmed *before* it is
soldered in place and no mechanism provided by the circuit for
firmware modification. In this case I presume you would not be able to
make use of GPLv3 firmware - as no mechinism is readily available to
modify the firmware...

I know these are perhaps somewhat unrealistic scenarios - but if I
have understood them correctly it certainly seems that GPLv3 could
have been a little more embedded platform friendly.

cheers,

Geoff