Re: gEDA-user: pcb crooked traces

Andrew Poelstra wrote:
I think we should also test sin and cos -- and since for integers,
there will be casts involved on either side, I suspect there will
be a performance hit.

Also sqrt and pow. (In Lisp, isqrt beats sqrt, but I just tested
in C (gcc -O3 -lm), and sqrt wins by a factor of 10!) Perhaps I
simply have a crappy isqrt implementation, but this seems like an
argument in favor of floating-point.

How common are these ops in pcb? How common would they be if we had
a decent DRC?
sin, cos, sqrt and other "heavy" functions are most likely avoided, even for design rule checks and don't (frequently) occur for placement operations, since normally rotation matrices are used, that are set up once and then used for all coordinates
of the relevant object (e.g. an oblique footprint).
For DRC distances on would compare the square of distance to the square of
the limit, giving the same truth value.