Re: gEDA-user: GNUduino - Arduino made with gEDA

   On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 1:56 AM, Dave N6NZ <[1]n6nz@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

     Good on you.  It really gripes me when open hardware projects use
     something like Eagle for the schematic/pcb flow.  The current object
     of my derision for doing that is the RepRap foundation.  Today there
     are at least two reasonable choices for open source schematic and
     pcb design -- why do open hardware projects go with closed-source
     tool flows?  I boggle.
     -dave

   Agreed.  I don't have time to click through all the signatories of the
   OSHW definition ( [2]http://freedomdefined.org/OSHW ) but I know that
   several of the businesses (Adafruit, DIYdrones, and Sparkfun are on the
   top of the list) call themselves 'open' because they have Eagle design
   files.  What can we do to gEDA to make it more accessible to these
   folks?  Or, how can we convince these folks and/or their customers that
   they're in violation of the OSHW license:

     2. Necessary Software
     If the hardware requires software, embedded or otherwise, to operate
     properly and fulfill its essential functions, then the documentation
     requirement must also include at least one of the following: The
     necessary software, released under an OSI-approved open source
     license, or other sufficient documentation such that it could
     reasonably be considered straightforward to write open source
     software that allows the device to operate properly and fulfill its
     essential functions.

   Kudos to Jeffrey for adhering to true open-source design!
   --
   Kevin Vermeer