Re: gEDA-user: Newbie wondering about simulation

On Oct 24, 2010, at 6:29 AM, Hannu Vuolasaho wrote:

>   Hello!
>   I'm newbie with simulaition and I thought I was able to defeat this
>   problem but its ghost still walks with me. The next design is too big
>   to be calculated reasonably with paper, pen and TI-85.
>   First the versions: gschem 1.6.1.20100214 ngspice-20 : Circuit level
>   simulation program
>   These are from Arch linux' AUR and packages.
>   In my second simulation ever I downloaded spice files from IRF. Then I
>   put one FET to my design and tried to simulate.
>   As I discovered the FET had to be X1 because it is subcircuit. Howevere
>   gnetlist -g spice-sdb generates it as MX1 which doesn't work. ngspice
>   says it can't find model.
>   So what I'm doing wrong? Changing manually to X1 makes the simulation
>   work but it isn't really the Solution.

The spice-sdb back end tries to figure out what the correct SPICE prefix is and "repair" it for you. You can turn this feature off with the --nomunge flag ("gnetlist -g spice-sdb --nomunge"), or you can change your device= attribute to something it doesn't recognize.

> I've copied below parts of sch
>   and net file.
>   I'm curious about the last line in net file. It says M1. Is it version
>   of model name of something or what? The ideal PMOSFET used in creating
>   the IRF FET which acts like real device?

It's a four terminal (drain, gate, source, substrate) internal FET. I presume the part you clipped has the package parasitics in it.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx