Re: gEDA-user: Enhancements for gEDA/pcb G-code export

On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 09:16 -0700, Steven Michalske wrote:

> My suggestion is that the ability to specify settings predefined
> levels of machines.  Either by making an addition to the current gcode
> exporter, (dropdown list) or by making a separate RepRap exporter. By
> factoring out common code and placing a clean API on it.

I'm not sure where the config storage would fit (perhaps hard-coded in
the exporter for now), but a drop-down menu of pre-defined configs would
probably be the best way to support this for now.

Basically, I concur with Steven.

First get some patches in to get the support for the type of gcode
features you need. Try where possible to make those default to export
the way things currently do (to avoid annoying existing users).

Then we should look at a way to short-cut specifying a set of options
for a preferred machine. Thinking of this on a generic exporter basis,
something like this would also be really nice for other exporters,
including postscript / PNG etc..

I don't expect it to be easy to implement generically, so I would not at
all be opposed to just pushing something into the gcode exporter for
now. We can always move to a more generic means to set export
preferences for other exporters at a later stage.

The important bit is that there is options for the exporter to do what
you want, and secondly, that it is easy for people to choose them
en-masse.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,