Re: gEDA-user: gEDA interview with DJ at DevCon

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 13:58 -0400, Bob Paddock wrote:
>> > KiCad is KiCad of course. Sadly, 3D view crashes when launched here,
>> > some kind of X11 / GLX / GL problem. I was trying to debug it and fix it
>> > for them (in the spirit of cooperation), but it looks like it might be
>> > some nasty WxWidgets internal bug - and I'm not familiar with Wx at all.
>
>> The standard reply to bug reports bug reports is "Recreate the problem
>> in the Minimal Sample" and send us a patch and a back trace.
>> I went through this cycle yesterday so you can see an example here:
>>
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.wxwindows.general/71265
>
> Thanks.. its actually kind of a neat idea, although potentially quite
> frustrating. Presumably they will accept triage / insight from a bug
> even if it isn't demonstrated in a minimal sample though?

A patch to the Minimal Sample generally gets an immediate response,
and frequently an immediate fix.
Anything else gets one of the following:
A) Demonstrate the problem in the Minimal Sample.
B) Yes, looks like you found a bug, please debug it, and tell us how
to fix it with a patch.
C) Yes, you found a problem, but I'm [not me] to busy to fix it right
now, please create a bug report on the Patch Tracker.
D) "Do this: [something]" and it will fix your problem.

> #7  0x00316a2b in wxGLCanvas::SwapBuffers() () from /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_gl-2.8.so.0
> #8  0x082a5f3e in Pcb3D_GLCanvas::Redraw(bool) ()
> #9  0x0829f8e4 in Pcb3D_GLCanvas::OnPaint(wxPaintEvent&) ()
> #10 0x00890c2f in wxAppConsole::HandleEvent(wxEvtHandler*, void (wxEvtHandler::*)(wxEvent&), wxEvent&) const () from /usr/lib/libwx_baseu-2.8.so.0

I don't understand whythis is AppConsole from wxBase.  I'd expect AppGUI.
Also you want to be using 2.8.11.  2.9.x is not ready for usage yet.

> However.. I fear that active discussion and debugging of KiCad bugs is a
> little OT for the geda-user list. I'd love to know what the problem was
> though, so I could play with the KiCad 3D viewer and get a feel for what
> is good / bad about it, and help inspire my own 3D efforts.

Perhaps, but its been on my To Do list for a long time to do a
wxWidgets port of PCB.

Take a look at this project for some example GL code in wxWidgets:

http://code.google.com/p/toped/