Re: gEDA-user: gEDA interview with DJ at DevCon

On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 20:15 -0400, Bob Paddock wrote:

> >> The standard reply to bug reports bug reports is "Recreate the problem
> >> in the Minimal Sample" and send us a patch and a back trace.
> >> I went through this cycle yesterday so you can see an example here:
> >>
> >> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.wxwindows.general/71265
> >
> > Thanks.. its actually kind of a neat idea, although potentially quite
> > frustrating. Presumably they will accept triage / insight from a bug
> > even if it isn't demonstrated in a minimal sample though?

Fixed the KiCad crash now:

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/648289/comments/10

Their 3D view is nice (and quick - for a board with 3 traces on it!) I'm
not knocking it... just that I don't have a decent complex design to try
it on.

> A patch to the Minimal Sample generally gets an immediate response,
> and frequently an immediate fix.
> Anything else gets one of the following:
> A) Demonstrate the problem in the Minimal Sample.
> B) Yes, looks like you found a bug, please debug it, and tell us how
> to fix it with a patch.
> C) Yes, you found a problem, but I'm [not me] to busy to fix it right
> now, please create a bug report on the Patch Tracker.
> D) "Do this: [something]" and it will fix your problem.

Sounds about as helpful as the GTK lot ;)

I'm not sure the bug is a Wx bug or a KiCad bug, but it appears that
WxWidgets is not giving double-buffered GL visuals by default - even
though the docs suggest that it should. A subsequent call to
SwapBuffers() explodes.

> > #8  0x082a5f3e in Pcb3D_GLCanvas::Redraw(bool) ()
> > #9  0x0829f8e4 in Pcb3D_GLCanvas::OnPaint(wxPaintEvent&) ()
> > #10 0x00890c2f in wxAppConsole::HandleEvent(wxEvtHandler*, void (wxEvtHandler::*)(wxEvent&), wxEvent&) const () from /usr/lib/libwx_baseu-2.8.so.0
>
> I don't understand whythis is AppConsole from wxBase.  I'd expect AppGUI.
> Also you want to be using 2.8.11.  2.9.x is not ready for usage yet.

I'm using 2.8.11, some of the KiCad code was checking for 2.9.x, but
part of my fix was to change that to testing for 2.8.x. (The new API
seems to be present and to work, although it might have been introduced
in a minor version I guess).

> http://code.google.com/p/toped/

Thanks for the link. I reproduced the bug in the very simple example I
saw before, and it was due to the fact they weren't passing their
arguments into the WxGLCanvas constructor.

Similarly, KiCad don't specify any parameters of the visual they would
like, then make an assumption it was double-buffered without requesting
that.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,