Re: gEDA-user: Final call for testers!

Stuart Brorson wrote:

Hi Stuart.
I tried the latest iso version on my Fedora FC3 system. I haven't yet got Gtk 1.2 installed so it couldn't install those sections which need it but the install ran ok and installed the other bits I hadn't got..
pcb, gspiceui and geda seem to run ok as do some of the other non-gui programs but gschem does not work. If I try to run it from the command line I get a message saying that it can't find "libgeda.so.24" but this is present in geda-install/lib and I can find it using the find files program. "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" points to /home/colin/geda-install/lib so I am not too sure what the problem is! Any ideas.

Yeah -- run "ldconfig" as root in the window you wish to run gschem. Either that or reboot. The LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable only tells Linux where to look for .so files. It doesn't tell Linux to actually go out and find them. You have to run ldconfig to get Linux to refresh the cache of .so files it knows about.

Stuart

Hi Stuart.
Many thanks for that. I had tried re-booting but that hadn't worked. I think the problem was caused by my not having an export command after setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
gschem now seems ok but when I run PCB via geda on a pcb file which works when accessed from PCB directly PCB chokes and says it is an illegal file format. Also if I try to set up a new project in geda it always tells me that that file already exists(which it now does) and offers to overwrite it. I can probably get round all this by setting up the project manually and ignoring geda as my main interest is with gschem and PCB. I have been spending some time trying to get gerbv working but even though I found an old copy of gtk-config(in my RH8 installation)which satisfied the startup check it still can't find GTK+ > 1.2.3 even though I have 1.2.10 and 2.0 installed and the demo works ok.

Colin